Saturday, June 30, 2007

Presenting a new Martin

This week we took the plunge and added a canine companion to our family. This is Luna:







Luna is a Bernese Mountain Dog. My brother Ray has one where he lives in Alaska and we love visiting her. Every time we meet a Berner we are impressed by what calm and sensitive dogs they are, so we decided this was the breed for us. We put a picture of Luna's mother so you can see what she will look like as an adult. (She was still slightly large because she has been nursing eight pups!!!!
We were worried that there would be a lot of crying, but so far we only had one episode from 5:30 to 6am. Then she quieted down. We are totally impressed! The Bernese Mountain Dog is from Switzerland and was used to watch over sheep and also to haul carts full of milk and cheese to market in other towns. Here is a picture of my brother's dog fulfilling her calling:


Having a dog is a huge change for us and I feel very apprehensive and worried that I will not meet her needs. When they put her in my lap for the ride home yesterday I felt like a huge responsibility had been given to me. I wonder if that's how you feel when you have a baby--although I am sure it is more with a child! I said a prayer that Heavenly Father would help me be a good dog-parent to this beautiful creature of his.
We are loving our Luna already--I am leaving for three weeks and I know I will miss her! She is coming to Utah in August with Juan Carlos and me to meet the rest of the family and her canine cousin Sage from Alaska.
That's it for now. I am sure I will be posting more often since I now have something very fun and wiggly to post about!!!!

3 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Oh she is so cute! I'm jealous. I've been wanting a puppy but Joel says not until we aren't changing diapers, too.

You will be a great puppy mommy!

Lara Neves said...

Annie, we're not leaving for Cedar until Friday afternoon. Maybe I can stop by your parents' abode that morning...or vice versa. :)

rachel said...

She's beautiful, Annie! I'm sure you and JC will be great canine parents. Max always loved you both.

I know what you mean about the responsibility, though. I remember the same feeling when we picked Max up. And it is sort of the same with a new baby -- you look at each other like, "What in the world did we just do." Only with a baby you have 9 months to prepare!