Thursday, December 10, 2009

What I Am Doing This Holiday Season

This year I am not going to Utah for Christmas. I am bummed about that because my whole family is going to be there except me. It's hard to be so far from family--I would say one of the hardest things about living on the East Coast, since everyone else is west of the Mississippi. There are several reasons why I am not going, but one of them is that this year I am doing my first run with the Boston Pops for the holiday concert series. Interestingly enough, this program will be performed 32 times. I am not sure it would be humanly possible for one chorus to do that many performances and be alive at the end of it, especially since sometimes there are 3 concerts in one day. We are split up into four teams and each team is assigned eight concerts. Mine start this Friday, but the festivities began last night with a different team, and it looks like it is going to be a fun season. Eight performances is more than I have ever done for any program anywhere, with exception to maybe the Tabernacle Choir tour. So it is looking to be a very busy season! This week I am still teaching and trying to get tests done before school lets out, running a 10k, helping cook for the ward Christmas party and doing three Pops concerts. And that is just from now until Sunday. Things will be easier once school lets out next week, but they are absolutely crazy right now. Now, as crazy as things are, I have noticed how much more festive I feel this year just being part of some kind of holiday event. After all, the holidays are all about being with people, right? Well, I am getting plenty of that, and although I may not be with my family, I am definitely appreciating the season.


Pops toast the season with glee, tradition - The Boston Globe

http://wbztv.com/video/?id=84144@wbz.dayport.com

http://www.necn.com/Boston/Arts-Entertainment/2009/12/10/Boston-Pops-prepare-to-kickoff/1260453532.html



Posted using ShareThis

1 comment:

Lara Neves said...

Seriously so jealous! What an experience to be working with such an organization! And holy cow what a schedule! I was relieved to read that they divide you up...I don't know how anyone could handle 32 performances!