Friday, January 01, 2010

Resolutions: Easy, Medium, Hard

This year I had a hard time deciding what I wanted to resolve upon for the new year. It's not like I have completely fulfilled all my resolutions from last year, although I did make quite a bit of headway. I always seem to find myself needing to work on the same things all the time so I wondered if I should stop making resolutions and just do a yearly update, but I quickly realized that would take away all the fun and excitement of the beginning of a new year, so Juan Carlos and I put our heads together and decided we would come up with some new resolutions that would (directly or indirectly) tie in with all those things I am constantly working on.

Resolution #1: EASY: First, we are going to eliminate all our debt except for our mortgage. We chose this one because it will be relatively easy. We don't like debt and have worked hard to stay out of it. In fact, one of our Christmas gifts to ourselves this year was to pay off our second car. A great feeling. But we have let ourselves keep a few things out there and we feel that it is not a good time to be financially compromised. So that one will be fulfilled very, very soon.

Resolution #2:  MEDIUM: I have been increasing my running a bit lately, but because of the season, most of it has been at the gym, since by the time I get home from school it is usually dark, and I don't run in the dark. I have experienced some of the nice things about treadmill running. You don't have to layer your clothing, you can control the speed and incline, and you can watch tv (or in my case my Ipod) while you run. This last has proven to be invaluable to me since I get bored really fast on the treadmill. But anyway, the winter solstice has passed and the days are getting perceptibly longer, so it's back to running outside.
My school has been developing a place-based education initiative and one of our activities was to go on a walk around Providence and see some of the waterways in the downtown Providence area. Rhode Island has been putting a lot of effort into creating bikepaths and pedestrian walkways, and they call these Greenways. There are many paths out there already and they are working on more all the time. So I checked out the map:



...and decided that I am going to run/hike all the Rhode Island Greenways this year. Some of the trails are long (75 miles), and some are not so long (1-3 miles). They include bikepaths, hiking trails, nature conservancies, and federal and stake park trails. I can't even make a guess as to how many miles that is. We have been looking at the different areas and we are getting really excited about really getting to know the parts of the state we don't know (which is a lot). This is going to probably take the whole year, but it is the resolution I am the most excited about.

Resolution #3: HARD:  Juan Carlos and I both decided that we have to start sleeping at night. There is just no good reason why we aren't doing this, and it has become obvious to us that we NEED to be developing better sleeping habits. (Can we say cranky?) We are up at 6am no matter what time we go to bed. So, we are going to be in bed by 10:30pm nightly. Of course there will be exceptions but for the most part there is just no reason important enough to compromise our sleep time. And it's not like we have children or anything, although if that ever happens we will probably wish we had slept while we could! Our difficulty will be accepting that there is no reason important enough.

I am sure I will have plenty more to say about this as the year progresses. Happy New Year everyone!!!

1 comment:

Lara Neves said...

Great resolutions. I'm jealous a little about how easy #1 will be for you, but we're making progress. Darn student loans! Big HUGE student loans. :)

#2 sounds awesome.

#3 is one I need to work on as well. Joel too, amazingly enough! He has become such a night owl since moving here...he used to be out by 10 no matter what, but he outlasts me now many nights!