Saturday, February 05, 2011

Uh…More Snow

We have lived in New England since 2006 and this is the first year we have seen any snow. And by snow I mean stuff that stays on the ground for more than a day. There has been a great deal of it this year, and the temperatures are staying low so it doesn’t melt. Now where I grew up this was just part of life, but here it causes chaos, mostly because there is nowhere to put the stuff, and it is in huge piles along the sides of the already narrow streets of Providence. In Utah there is lots of space and there are places to park your car other than on the street. Add to that that snow removal is not something that has to be done fairly often here. As one of my colleagues said, “this is Providence, we have two snowplows and a salt shaker!” 

I was dumbstruck on Thursday, watching the maintenance crew hacking away with shovels at the inch of ice coating the courtyard at school. It’s definitely a view of the school I have never seen.

IMG_0582IMG_0583IMG_0584IMG_0585

Anyway, for the first time I am wishing that the sun would just come out and melt the stuff already. We went for our walk with Luna today and it was more of a half-walk-half-skate around Lincoln Woods.

IMG_0587

But….it is February, which is usually the coldest month of the year here. Which means the snow may not be going anywhere.

1 comment:

Lara Neves said...

Brrr! I sympathize. I have at least four feet in my backyard today and it is still coming! And it is COLD! How does Luna like the snow?