Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Post In Which It Is Revealed How Pathetic I Am About My Dog

May is an unbelievably crazy month for both JC and me. Final classes, final exams and final grades all make an appearance and all the extracurricular stuff is going on so we never know who is actually going to be in class from day to day. Add on top of that test makeups and extra help and by the end of the day we have no recollection of any of our actions. At home we are trying to write said exams and reevaluate lesson plans to fit the smaller amount of time that we now have in class due to all the craziness. JC is editing his book manuscript as well, and our church callings take up a large amount of time, so we are pretty much spoken for from 6am to 10pm every day. Our house looks like a bomb hit it and last night I found myself washing dishes at 11pm because we had run out of silverware. Don't even get me started as to why we needed silverware at 11pm. We look at each other sometimes and ask each other did we really choose to do this as a career? If so we were stark raving mad.

What does my dog have to do with all of this? Well, she is around all day, wondering why she is not getting the walks that she usually does and why we are not giving her the attention that we usually do. I have a great dog. A really great dog. The other day a Verizon repairman stood on our doorstep with the door open to the street for an hour (while we were simultaneously trying to listen to him, eat dinner, feed the dog and get ready to go to a church activity) and she just sat there, cool as you please, for the whole hour, not even thinking about jumping on him or running out the door. My dog also sleeps most of the time (awesome) and never chews on ANYTHING except her chew toys. She never gets up on furniture unless invited, even when we are not around. She stays in her bed in the morning until we are good and ready to get up and take her out (it must be said we are almost always ready before she is). She is always eager to meet another person or dog, and generally is happy all the time. So you can see why we might feel like she deserves a lot more time and attention than we are able to give her in May and selective other times during the year.

We have tried really hard to do everything dog-related ourselves in order to save money and not turn into those crazy dog people that treat their dogs like people, but we finally gave in and took Luna to a doggie day care this week, because she does have needs that we were obviously not taking care of.

The day care is in Attleboro, MA, where we lived for a year. We were not too happy in Attleboro when we lived there, but then we moved to Pawtucket and now we WISH we could move back to Attleboro. It is a little out of the way for us, but well worth it. The staff is wonderful and they even carry the hard-to-find dog food that we give Luna. That alone is worth the price. They have an indoor and an outdoor play area and a large dog and small dog enclosure. And the best thing of all is that they have a streaming webcam so you can check on your dog any time. (Maybe I should say the worst thing, because who would want to do work when they can watch a room full of dogs playing?)

Yesterday was Luna's first day and when she came home she lay down and conked out for the rest of the day. Astonishing! Once I finished my 11pm dishwashing she finally looked at me like, "What are we doing still up? It's bedtime!" So I finally feel like even though we had a crazy busy day, so did she, and hers was considerably more fun than mine!!!


















3 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Awwww! You are a great dog mommy, and I think that even the day care is necessary in situations like yours. I wish my brother and his wife would do that. They live in my parents' basement and the poor puppy is in his kennel all day long unless my mom or dad takes him out, and they are not home all that much. I feel sorry for him.

I love that they give you a report card. Luna is a good girl for sure!

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest thing I have ever heard~! Doggy day care!

Lara Neves said...

Just got your email, and on my end of the computer it looks like you have it figured out! It looks great! Maybe if it still doesn't look right from your computer you should try clearing your cache. But I'm guessing you figured out whatever was wrong. :)