Saturday, May 22, 2010

Show Me The Music

This year we are going to be traveling for most of the summer so I thought that I might not get to do as much singing out at Tanglewood as I had hoped. Was I ever wrong! I was assigned to 4 concerts, two of which I had to opt out because we will be in Spain visiting Juan Carlos’ family. However, there will be no shortage of music memorizing this summer! I have until August 20th to memorize the following:

IMG_0827

Beethoven’s 9th Symphony (Thank heavens I did this last year so it will be just brush up work!)

Poulenc: Gloria

Bach: Jesu, Meine Freude

Holst: The Planets

When I first got the music I was not feeling too happy because I opened up and saw Jesu, Meine Freude, and the German made me have a few moments of panic…not again!!!!!

 

IMG_0828

Well, I learned my lesson with the Mendelssohn earlier this year—I need to start memorizing and start memorizing NOW.

Next, the Poulenc Gloria. Now isn’t this beautiful?

IMG_0829

Ah, Latin. Lovely, simply pronounced, intelligible Latin. How do I love thee? So very much! It’s about 60 pages long, but what is 60 pages of Latin after 200 pages of German?

And THEN………….

Holst: The Planets

IMG_0831   

Your eyes do not deceive you! There are NO WORDS!!! Now this  is my kind of piece! Plus we only sing about five minute’s worth of music, so I am feeling considerably better.

But still, I have 28 pages of German to memorize. And 28 pages of German is 28 pages of German!!!

Here we go again…

3 comments:

rachel said...

I LOVE the Poulenc. So beautiful. Sorry about the German. :) Yay for Holst!

Susanna said...

Good Luck with that German, yikes! Hey, are you busy singing all summer,or do you have time to come visit your favorite sister? I still have that 300 dollar voucher!

Kristen Wilde said...

I got to sing Jesu Meine Freude a few months ago, but fortunately didn't have to memorize it!!! Lovely piece. Good luck!