Tuesday, June 01, 2010

The Seven-Year Stitch

In 2003 I began a needlework project that was meant to be a gift for my mother-in-law. It was the most difficult project I had undertaken to date because instead of using cross-stitch fabric I went ahead and used linen, so that I had to count the threads that are woven into the fabric to figure out where each stitch square was supposed to be. It is a lot harder to do this way, but it looks so much prettier than when you do it on cross-stitch fabric that has the holes woven into it. Next time you have a linen shirt on look closely at it and try to count the threads and you will see what I mean. Anyway, it took me awhile to get the hang of it, but I liked how it was turning out. Enter Master’s degree, full-time job, moving to the Northeast, finding and settling into two different teaching positions, and buying our first home. This poor project fell by the wayside many times. Every now and then I would pull it out and go crazy for a few days only to have to put it away for another year (or two L)
Anyway, this year I have been working a little more diligently on it and finally a couple of weeks ago I realized that it was really almost done except for some backstitching. So I finally finished that up during the slumber party I had at my house with the Young Women of my church the other night. And here we are, voilà!
IMG_0869 IMG_0868
Now I just have to get it washed, ironed, and framed. I was looking through some books to see what I should start on next…I’m definitely crazy. Maybe I’ll see you in another seven years!

3 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Oooh...It turned out so beautiful! Are you still going to give it to your Mother-in-law?

It's kind of like that darn quilt I pieced....the one you and your mom and sisters quilted for me. I started it in 1995 and it was quilted in 2002. Seven year projects, they are fun.

Kristen Wilde said...

Nice!

TheHQforHQ said...

I'm so impressed! Beautiful!