Saturday, September 11, 2010

Music Nerds

It has been a very busy few weeks for Juan Carlos and I as school has gotten started, and I haven't been posting as much. Plenty has happened, but by the time I get to this blog I either am either too tired to write about things or can't remember what I was going to write. This week I was taking pictures of my classes (so cute!) and came upon some pictures of my week at Tanglewood this summer. So here you go!

For the last week of summer I spent five days out in the Berkshires for some concerts with the Symphony. Tanglewood is such a gorgeous place, but it was crazier than last year because I was trying so hard to memorize my Bach. And that's what I did, morning, noon, and night.



One of my friends took this picture while I was trying to zone in on the German. Most of the week was spent like this or walking around the grounds chanting in German--and I do mean chanting. A woman stopped me after one of my rounds and said maybe I didn't realize how loud my voice was and could I please stop it! I had to work very hard not to shake my score in her face and ask her how she thought I should memorize the Bach by TOMORROW if not by practicing, but I got ahold of myself and took my offending voice to another area. But hey, it's Tanglewood and if you can't walk around caterwauling there, where can you?




I was not alone in my panic. Most of us who were working on the Bach were having fits.


M.


T. (T. really wasn't working on the Bach, I just wanted to put her in because she's so pretty! That's Poulenc, actually.)

A.
In the end we all managed to get the thing memorized and it was gorgeous. Of course as soon as the concert was over we all felt like NOW we were ready to go out and perform it. And now I remember every single German word without even trying. Even with all the exasperation I still think it was one of the most fun weeks of the year and I was sad to not have more music to memorize at the end of it. But I will definitely be memorizing much earlier next year so that when I get to hang out with these ladies again there will be more fun and less panic!

boston.com

No comments: