Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Play on Words


English is not Juan Carlos' first language. Spanish is not my first language. At home we try to stick to Spanish but sometimes a strange hybrid creeps into use when we aren't paying attention. Inevitably, we each make mistakes with the other's language. Most of the time this is just irritating, but sometimes we really crack each other up. Since most readers of this blog would not understand my mistakes, this post is for the amusing contributions JC has made to the English language.

1. "I am going to kill the bird with two stones." Meaning to say "kill two birds with one stone"


2. "What is the windshield factor?" Instead of wind chill factor


3. "My stomach hurts-right around my button-belly."


4. "Can I have some hot chocolate with wiped cream?" Instead of whipped cream


5. "It has cring chiss" Instead of cream cheese


6. "Excuse me. I burp." Instead of I burped


7. To the dog: "Sage! Rolled over!" Instead of "Roll over!"


8. "What do you want on your tomestoon? Instead of tombstone


9. "I think we need an aisle for the kitchen" Instead of island


10. Waitress: " Do you want soup or salad?"

Juan Carlos: "Yes."

Waitress: "You want soup, or salad?"

Juan Carlos: "Yes."

He thought she was saying super salad and he wanted one!!!!!


Just in case you laugh too hard, remember it goes both ways! My nieces and nephews have a hard time saying Juan Carlos so they call him "One Carlos". I think it's a fair trade.

2 comments:

Lara Neves said...

The "I burp" brings back fond memories of Juan Carlos. :)

Tell him not to worry, Joel is a native speaker of English, and yet he says some very bizarre things when he can't think of the right word. He just says whatever comes out of his mouth.

I should start writing them down. :)

rachel said...

Annie! I found you on Lara's blog! Massachusetts? Wow! Tell Juan Carlos hi for us.